Juho Kim is an Assistant Professor in the School of Computing at KAIST, and directs KIXLAB (the KAIST Interaction Lab). His research in human-computer interaction focuses on building interactive systems that support interaction at scale: crowdsourcing and human computation, online education and learning at scale, civic engagement and collective action, and interactive data analytics and mining. He creates interactive and collaborative technology that empowers conventionally passive populations -- students receiving instruction and citizens influenced by social issues -- to be active and self-directed participants who initiate deeper learning and collective action. He often takes an interdisciplinary approach to his research, by connecting computer science with learning sciences and social sciences, and aims to deploy interactive systems to real users.
He earned his Ph.D. from MIT, M.S. from Stanford University, and B.S. from Seoul National University. In 2015-2016, he was a Visiting Assistant Professor and a Brown Fellow at Stanford University. He is a recipient of eight paper awards from ACM CHI, ACM Learning at Scale, and AAAI HCOMP, and the Samsung Fellowship.
If you're interested in working with me at KAIST, please email me.
Blog (in Korean)
N1 Room 605, KAIST
291 Daehak-ro, Yuseong-gu
Daejeon, Korea 34141
Yoo Jin Lim
Sung-Chul Lee (co-advised by Jihee Kim)
rest of the team
Want to meet?
Office hours: 4-5pm Tue/Thu
- 2017.6.23-24: UIST 2017 PC, Pittsburgh, USA
- 2017.6.7: Invited talk in the Dept, of Civil & Env. Eng. at Seoul National University
- 2017.5.8-11: CHI 2017, Denver, USA
- 2017.5.24: Invited talk in the Dept. of Industrial and Systems Eng. at KAIST
- 2017.5.4: Invited talk in the Software Graduate Program at KAIST
- 2017.4.20-4.21: Learning at Scale 2017, Boston, USA
- 2017.3.17: Invited talk in the Ministry of the Interior, Korean Government
- 2017.1.12: Invited talk in the Education Research Institute at Seoul National University
- 2017.1.4-5: KAIST SoC Faculty Workshop, Busan, Korea
- 2016.11.4-5: Microsoft Research Asia Faculty Summit 2016, Seoul, Korea
- 2016.10.17-19: UIST 2016, Tokyo, Japan
- 2016.10.4: Keynote at LG UX Conference
- 2016.9.29: Brown Institute Media Innovation Showcase + C+J Symposium Stanford, CA, USA
- 2016.9.26: SoC Colloquium, KAIST, Daejeon, Korea
- 2016.9.3-4: CSCW 2017 PC Meeting, NY, USA
- 2016.7.6-8: KAIST SoC Faculty Workshop, Jecheon, Korea
- Apr 26 2017 I'm looking for undergrad research interns for the summer semester.
- Apr 26 2017 Giving a talk about Introduction to HCI at the freshmen seminar at KAIST
- Feb 16 2017 I'm looking for undergrad research interns for the spring semester.
- Feb 14 2017 Three LBW for CHI 2017, one WIP for Learning at Scale 2017, one workshop paper for the WWW 2017 SNOW Workshop, and a full paper for PacificVis 2017 have been accepted.
- Jan 10 2017 SungChul's position paper on Micro-NGO is accepted to the Crowdsourcing Law and Policy Workshop at CSCW 2017.
- Dec 18 2016 I'll serve on the UIST 2017 PC.
- Nov 1 2016 Workshop proposal accepted to CSCW 2017: "Crowdsourcing Law and Policy: A Design-Thinking Approach to Crowd-Civic Systems".
- Nov 1 2016 SCAN paper available, coming up at CSCW 2017. It's a mobile app that detects social context in a group and intelligently manages your notifications.
- Oct 31 2016 Gave a guest lecture on "Building Usable Software via Teamwork" in the CS Projects class at KAIST.
- Oct 4 2016 Gave a keynote at the LG UX Conference on "Interaction at Scale"
- Sep 29 2016 Presented our recipe mining project at Brown Institute Media Innovation Showcase. Stanford Daily coverage.
Sep 16 2016
Proud to introduce my research group!
KIXLAB (KAIST Interaction Lab)
- Sep 1 2016 Joined the KAIST ARRC (Augmented Reality Research Center) as affiliated faculty
- Sep 7 2016 Paper accepted to CSCW 2017: “Don’t Bother Me. I’m Socializing.”: A Breakpoint-Based Smartphone Notification System
- Sep 1 2016 Taught my first class as faculty: CS492:Crowdsourcing
- Jul 1 2016 First day as faculty in SoC at KAIST! Kicking off with one Ph.D. student and five summer undergrad interns.
- May 18 2016 Presenting my research on learnersourcing in the AI Seminar at UW CSE.
- May 17 2016 Presenting at the #mediaX2016 Conference at Stanford: "Multimedia for personal narratives: Working with the Doug Engelbart archives"
- Apr 29 2016 I'm looking for research interns to work with me over the summer at KAIST.
- Apr 26 2016 AXIS paper wins an honorable mention award at Learning at Scale 2016
- Mar 21-23 2016 Presented Organic Crowdsourcing Systems at AAAI 2016 Spring Symposium: Intelligent systems for supporting distributed human teamwork.
- Feb 29-Mar 2 2016 At CSCW 2016. Nam Wook Kim presented our paper BudgetMap: Engaging Taxpayers in the Issue-Driven Classification of a Government Budget
- Feb 9 2016 Our CHI 2016 note on revising learners' misconception wins an honorable mention award.
- Jan 28 2016 Talk on video interaction analysis in the Stanford Lytics seminar course (EDUC 407)
- Jan 27 2016 Talk on organic crowdsourcing systems in the Stanford Social Algorithms Lab
- Jan 15-17 2016 Organized the Brown Institute Base Camp as head facilitator
- Dec 18 2015 I'll serve on the CSCW 2017 PC, in the new Systems subcommittee
- Dec 14 2015 Conditionally accepted to CHI 2016: our note on revising learners' misconception
- Dec 14 2015 Conditionally accepted to Learning at Scale 2016: our paper, "AXIS: Generating Explanations at Scale with Learnersourcing and Machine Learning"
- Dec 10 2015 Learning at Scale 2016 PC Meeting in Mountain View, CA.
- Dec 1 2015 Talk on learnersourcing at CMU Crowdsourcing Seminar
- Nov 9-11 2015 UIST 2015, posters co-chair
- Oct 27 2015 Talk on learnersourcing at Berkeley Institute of Design
- Oct 1 2015 BudgetMap: Engaging Taxpayers in the Issue-Driven Classification of a Government Budget is accepted to CSCW 2016.
- Sep 11-12 2015 Brown Institute All-Hands Meeting at Columbia University
- Sep 2 2015 Talk on learnersourcing at Udemy
- Aug 18 2015 First day as visiting assistant professor at Stanford
- Aug 7 2015 Last day at MIT. Final thesis: Learnersourcing: Improving Learning with Collective Learner Activity
- Jul 30 2015 Thesis defense (slides)
- Jul 25 2015 Serving on the Program Committee of WWW 2016 and Learning at Scale 2016
- Jun 9 2015 Presenting a poster on learnersourcing at CAP Annual Meeting in CSAIL.
- Apr 24 2015 Presenting at Post-CHI Workshop @ KAIST
Apr 20 2015
CHI 2015 in Seoul, Korea:
1) [paper] RIMES: Embedding Interactive Multimedia Exercises in Lecture Videos,
2) [paper] Mudslide: A Spatially Anchored Census of Student Confusion for Online Lecture Videos,
3) [paper] Factful: Engaging Taxpayers in the Public Discussion of a Government Budget,
4) [paper] Apparition: Crowdsourced User Interfaces That Come To Life As You Sketch Them,
5) [Workshop] BudgetWiser: Gamification Design Opportunities in the Government Budget Domain,
6) [WIP] BudgetMap: Issue-Driven Navigation for a Government Budget.
- Mar 15 2015 CSCW 2015: Crowdy paper. Organizing & presenting at the Connecting Collaborative & Crowd Work with Online Education Workshop.
- Mar 1 2015 Three honorable mention awards at CHI 2015.
- Feb 16 2015 Crowdy and ToolScape on the media: Fast Company Design, BostInno, MIT News Office, CBC Radio.
- Jan 26 2015 Three Learning at Scale 2015 posters were accepted.
- Jan 7 2015 Teaching MIT's User Interface Design course in the spring semester with 200 students.
- Jan 7 2015 Program Committee for CHI 2015 Works-in-Progress.
- Dec 1 2014 Program Committee for Learning at Scale 2015. Attended the PC meeting in Mountain View, CA.
- Oct 31-Nov 4 2014 HCOMP 2014: co-organized CrowdCamp, attended the WorkLearn workshop, and Anant presented our attendee-sourcing paper.
- Oct 27 2014 Gave a talk in the Image and Video Computing group seminars at Boston University.
- Oct 23 2014 I'm co-organizing a workshop "Connecting Collaborative & Crowd Work with Online Education" at CSCW 2015.
- Oct 13 2014 I'll serve as the Posters Co-Chair for UIST 2015.
- Oct 6-8 2014 Presented two papers at UIST 2014 in Honolulu, HI: LectureScape & data-driven lecture video interaction and content-aware kinetic scrolling
- Sep 26 2014 Gave a talk about LectureScape at the HarvardX research colloquium.
- Aug 27 2014 Our "Learnersourcing Subgoal Labels for How-to Videos" paper is accepted to CSCW 2015. Check out Crowdy live!
- Aug 11 2014 LectureScape on the media: Forbes, eCampusNews, BostInno, MIT News Office
- Jun 24 2014 Two UIST 2014 papers on data-driven lecture video interface and content-aware kinetic scrolling got accepted.
- Jun 16 2014 Our HCOMP 2014 paper on attendeesourcing with Confer got accepted.
- May 23 2014 Interested in learning web programming? Try Crowdy, our collaborative video learning interface.
- May-Aug 2014 Summer internship at Microsoft Research. Will help teachers create more interactive lessons using Powerpoint with Office Mix.
- May 21 2014 Thesis proposed.
- Apr 30 2014 Sarah Weir won the 2nd place in the Student Research Competition at CHI 2014, with our project on learnersourcing subgoal labels for how-to videos.
- Apr 27-May 1 2014 Attended CHI 2014 in Toronto, Canada. Presented our paper "Crowdsourcing Step-by-Step Information Extraction to Enhance Existing How-to Videos" and a workshop paper "Leveraging Video Interaction Data and Content Analysis to Improve Video Learning" in the workshop on learning innovation at scale.
- Mar 4-5 2014 Presented "Understanding In-Video Dropouts and Interaction Peaks in Online Lecture Videos" at Learning at Scale 2014 in Atlanta, GA.
- Feb 26 2014 ToolScape website and video are live.
- Feb 10 2014 Two honorable mention awards for CHI 2014 papers.
- Jan 29 2014 A paper accepted to CHI 2014 Learning Innovation at Scale workshop.
- Jan 13-15 2014 Two posters presented at Quanta-MIT workshop in Taipei, Taiwan.
- Dec 2013 Gave six talks in Korea about learnersourcing (SNU, KAIST, Samsung, etc.).
- Dec 20 2013 Two papers accepted to Learning at Scale 2014.
- Dec 8 2013 Two papers accepted to CHI 2014.
- Nov 7 2013 Our paper on community clustering won a notable paper award at HCOMP 2013, in Palm Springs, CA.
- Nov 6 and 9 2013 I'm co-organizing CrowdCamp @ HCOMP 2013, in Palm Springs, CA.
- Oct 8 - Oct 11 2013 UIST 2013 in St. Andrews, UK, presenting Cobi: A Community-Informed Conference Scheduling Tool.
- Aug 23 2013 Mentored three student groups in 6.mitx, working on edX student activity visualization, edX grade visualization, and video annotation tool. (MIT News article)
- Jul 1 2013 Our paper Cobi: A Community-Informed Conference Scheduling Tool accepted to UIST 2013.
- Jun 28 - Jul 1 2013 Samsung Fellowship academic camp in Yosemite, CA. Presenting a poster.
- Jun 27 2013 SoCS Doctoral Symposium, Seattle, WA. | Poster (PDF).
- May 28 - Aug 30 2013 Summer internship in the learning sciences team at edX.
- May 2 2013 2nd place in Student Research Competition at CHI 2013 | Slides (PDF).
- Apr 27 - May 2 2013 CHI 2013 in Paris, France. Presenting 2 works-in-progress, 1 student research competition, 1 interactivity.
- Apr 23 2013 Introducing myCHI, a webapp for CHI attendees with paper bookmarking, social recommendations, and personalized schedule.
- Apr 10 2013 ToolScape talk in the graphics group in CSAIL.
- Mar 7 2013 ToolScape talk at edX.
- Feb 23 - Feb 27 2013 CSCW 2013 in San Antonio, Texas. Particpated in CrowdCamp.
- Assistant professor in the School of Computing at KAIST
- Visiting assistant professor of Computer Science and Brown Fellow at Stanford University, working in the Brown Institute and the HCI Group
- Ph.D. in EECS from MIT. Worked in the UID Group @ CSAIL
- Research intern at Microsoft Research
- Research intern at edX Learning Sciences
- Research intern at Abobe's Creative Technologies Lab
- Research intern @ USER Group at the IBM Almaden Research Center
- M.S. in Computer Science from Stanford University. Worked in the HCI Group
- Product manager / embedded software engineer at SystemBase in Seoul, Korea
- B.S. in Computer Science and Engineering from Seoul National University