Juho Kim is an Associate Professor in the School of Computing at KAIST, and directs KIXLAB (the KAIST Interaction Lab). He is also affiliated faculty in the Kim Jaechul Graduate School of AI at KAIST. His research in human-computer interaction focuses on building interactive systems that support interaction at scale: crowdsourcing and human computation, online education and learning at scale, civic engagement and collective action, and interactive data analytics and mining. He creates interactive and collaborative technology that empowers conventionally passive populations—students receiving instruction and citizens influenced by social issues—to be active and self-directed participants who initiate deeper learning and collective action. He often takes an interdisciplinary approach to his research, by connecting computer science with learning sciences and social sciences, and aims to deploy interactive systems to real users.
He earned his Ph.D. from MIT, M.S. from Stanford University, and B.S. from Seoul National University. In 2015-2016, he was a Visiting Assistant Professor and a Brown Fellow at Stanford University. He is a recipient of KAIST’s Songam Distinguished Research Award, Grand Prize for Creative Teaching, and Excellence in Teaching Award, as well as 12 paper awards from ACM CHI, ACM CSCW, ACM Learning at Scale, ACM IUI, ACM DIS, and AAAI HCOMP.
If you're interested in working with me at KAIST, please read this page. Also, in this interview video for HCI Korea, I summarize KIXLAB's representative projects and share my thoughts on research and mentoring. English transcription is available.
Office hours: by appointment
N1 Room 605, KAIST
291 Daehak-ro, Yuseong-gu
Daejeon, Korea 34141
- 2022.01.14: An Age of Upheaval Conference @ SKKU. Discussant.
- 2021.11.14-18: HCOMP 2021. Keynote speaker & WiP author.
- 2021.10.23-27: CSCW 2021. Author & attendee.
- 2021.10.19: Forum on Topics of AI Research at KAIST. Speaker: "Human-AI Collaboration and Crowdsourcing for AI".
- 2021.10.11-13: UIST 2021. Demo jury & attendee.
- 2021.06.07-09: Social Computing Systems Summer Camp. Speaker and attendee.
- 2021.06.01: Jin Hyung Kim's "Understanding AI Education" course at Chung-Ang University. Guest lecturer: "Supporting active remote learning experiences with AI".
- 2021.05.25: Hyundai Motor Group. Seminar Speaker: "Human-AI Collaboration".
- 2021.05.10-13: CHI 2021. Author, LBW co-chair, SV Pick-a-Brain session.
- 2021.03.11: KAIST Software Graduate Program. Colloquium Speaker: "Human-AI Interaction: Key to designing successful AI applications".
- 2021.02.18: The National Assembly Library of Korea. Invited Speaker: "Designing Intelligent Information Services for Libraries".
- 2021.02.02: Segal Seminar Series, Segal Design Institute, Northwestern University. Invited Speaker: "Designing AI-Powered Interactive Systems for Learning, Analytics, and Discussion".
- Jan 14 2022 Our paper "Capturing Diverse and Precise Reactions to a Comment with User-Generated Labels" is accepted to TheWebConf 2022.
- Jan 13 2022 Our research collaboration with Grinder on developing techniques for social video intneraction is featured on the media.
- Dec 21 2021 Our paper "SoftVideo: Improving the Learning Experience of Software Tutorial Videos with Collective Interaction Data" is accepted to IUI 2022.
- Dec 3 2021 Our paper on analyzing the distributed tutorship patterns in 1-to-1 online tutoring is accepted to LAK 2022.
- Nov 16 2021 Six papers conditionally accepted and two under revise & resubmit at CHI 2022.
- Oct 27 2021 I'm looking for undergrad research interns for the winter.
- Oct 26 2021 I'm recruiting a few MS students in SoC KAIST for Spring 2022. If interested, please follow the instructions in the MS Student Selection Process.
- Oct 8 2021 I'll be delivering my first conference keynote talk at HCOMP 2021.
- Apr 22 2021 My research group receives a prestigious Star Lab grant from the Korean government. We'll be working on "object-oriented video interaction" for the next eight years. Press Release: SoC website | ZDNet
- Apr 20 2021 I'm looking for undergrad research interns for the summer.
- Apr 19 2021 Joined the Graduate School of AI at KAIST as affiliate faculty.
- Apr 1 2021 "The MOOClet Framework: Unifying Experimentation, Dynamic Improvement, and Personalization in Online Courses" has been accepted to Learning at Scale 2021.
- Feb 12 2021 My interview video for HCI Korea is available. English transcription available.
- Subcommittee Co-Chair: CHI 2022
- Program Committee: CHI 2018-2019 & 2021, AAAI 2021 (SPC), CSCW 2017-2019, Learning at Scale 2015-2020, TheWebConf 2022, SIGCSE 2022, HCOMP 2016 & 2020, Creativity & Cognition 2019, Collective Intelligence 2019, UIST 2017, CHI 2015 WIP
- Demos Co-Chair: CSCW 2022
- Late-Breaking Work Co-Chair: CHI 2021
- Editor: UX of AI Forum, ACM Interactions Magazine. 2019-current
- Associate Editor: IEEE TLT. 2020-current
- Member: SIGCHI Asian Development Committee. 2019-current
- Member: SIGCHI Nomination Committee. 2020
- Vice President: SIGCHI Korea Chapter. 2019-current
- Vice President: HCI Society of Korea. 2019
- Papers Co-Chair: CSCW 2020
- Best Papers Co-Chair: CSCW 2019
- Social Media Co-Chair: CHI 2020
- Publicity Co-Chair: ISS 2019
- Best Paper Committee: CHI 2018, CSCW 2018
- Doctoral Consortium Co-Chair: HCI Korea 2018-2019
- Demo Co-Chair: UIST 2017-2018
- Poster Co-Chair: UIST 2015-2016
- Workshop Organizer: Crowdsourcing Law and Policy (CSCW 2017), Connecting Collaborative & Crowd Work with Online Education (CSCW 2015), CrowdCamp (HCOMP 2013-2014)
- Webmaster: CHI 2015
- Scheduling + Communitysourcing: CHI 2013-2015, CSCW 2014-2015
- Fall 2021 [CS473] Introduction to Social Computing
- Fall 2021 [CoE491] AI for Smart Life
- Spring 2021 [CS492E] Human-AI Interaction
- Spring 2021 [CS374] Introduction to HCI
- Fall 2020 [CS473] Introduction to Social Computing
- Fall 2020 [CS492F] Human-AI Interaction
- Spring 2020 [CS492D] Introduction to Research
- Spring 2020 [CS374] Introduction to HCI
- Fall 2019 [CS473] Introduction to Social Computing
- Spring 2019 [CS492C] Introduction to Research
- Spring 2019 [CS374] Introduction to HCI
- Fall 2018 [CS473] Introduction to Social Computing
- Fall 2018 [CS492C] Introduction to Research
- Fall 2018 [CS408F] Computer Science Project
- Spring 2018 [CS374] Introduction to HCI
- Spring 2018 [CS408E] Computer Science Project
- Fall 2017 [CS492] Crowdsourcing and Social Computing
- Spring 2017 [CS374] Introduction to HCI
- Spring 2017 [CS966/986] SoC Colloquium
- Fall 2016 [CS492] Crowdsourcing
- Assistant professor in the School of Computing at KAIST
- Visiting assistant professor of Computer Science and Brown Fellow at Stanford University, working in the Brown Institute and the HCI Group
- Ph.D. in EECS from MIT. Worked in the UID Group @ CSAIL
- Research intern at Microsoft Research
- Research intern at edX Learning Sciences
- Research intern at Abobe's Creative Technologies Lab
- Research intern @ USER Group at the IBM Almaden Research Center
- M.S. in Computer Science from Stanford University. Worked in the HCI Group
- Product manager / embedded software engineer at SystemBase in Seoul, Korea
- B.S. in Computer Science and Engineering from Seoul National University