Juho Kim is an Associate Professor in the School of Computing at KAIST, and directs KIXLAB (the KAIST Interaction Lab). His research in human-computer interaction focuses on building interactive systems that support interaction at scale: crowdsourcing and human computation, online education and learning at scale, civic engagement and collective action, and interactive data analytics and mining. He creates interactive and collaborative technology that empowers conventionally passive populations—students receiving instruction and citizens influenced by social issues—to be active and self-directed participants who initiate deeper learning and collective action. He often takes an interdisciplinary approach to his research, by connecting computer science with learning sciences and social sciences, and aims to deploy interactive systems to real users.
He earned his Ph.D. from MIT, M.S. from Stanford University, and B.S. from Seoul National University. In 2015-2016, he was a Visiting Assistant Professor and a Brown Fellow at Stanford University. He is a recipient of KAIST’s Songam Distinguished Research Award, Grand Prize for Creative Teaching, and Excellence in Teaching Award, as well as 12 paper awards from ACM CHI, ACM CSCW, ACM Learning at Scale, ACM IUI, ACM DIS, and AAAI HCOMP.
If you're interested in working with me at KAIST, please read this page.
Office hours: by appointment
N1 Room 605, KAIST
291 Daehak-ro, Yuseong-gu
Daejeon, Korea 34141
- 2020.12.18-19: SIGCHI CSCW Asia School 2020. Organizer.
- 2020.12.10-12: CHI 2021 PC Meeting. PC Member.
- 2020.12.09: KAIST Global Institute for Talented Education. Colloquium Speaker: "Human-AI Collaboration".
- 2020.12.03: 2020 KAIST Education Innovation Day. Speaker: "Toward More Interactive and Collaborative Online Learning".
- 2020.12.02: Dong-A Business Forum: AI for Business. Speaker and Panelist.
- 2020.11.24: Neil Heffernan's "Online Learning Infrastructure" course at WPI. Guest Lecturer.
- 2020.11.13: HCI Korea Webinar Series - AI and Data-Driven HCI/UX. Lecturer: Human-AI Interaction.
- 2020.10.07: Design for People (DFP@UBC) Seminar. Invited Speaker: "Designing AI-Powered Interactive Systems for Learning, Analytics, and Discussion".
- 2020.08.20: Software Convergence Symposium 2020 (SWCS2020). Invited Speaker: "Human-AI Collaboration".
- 2020.08.12: Learning@Scale workshop on Artificial Intelligence for Video-based Learning at Scale. Keynote Speaker: "Toward Interactive and Collaborative Video Learning Experiences"
- 2020.08.03: Republic of Korea Army. Invited Speaker: "AI, Big Data, and Education from an HCI Perspective".
- 2020.07.07: LG Leadership Center. Invited Speaker: "Toward Interactive and Collaborative Online Education".
- 2020.07.03: Korea Science and Technology Annual Meeting. Invited Speaker: "Human-AI Collaboration".
- 2020.06.19: LG U+. Invited Speaker: "User-Centric Service Design with Recommendation and Personalization".
- 2020.06.04: National Assembly of South Korea. Invited Speaker: "Human-AI Collaboration".
- 2020.04.20: COGS 231 Human-Centered Programming @ UCSD. Guest Lecturer.
- Dec 23 2020 Two papers have been accepted with minor revisions to CSCW 2021 (PACM HCI journal): (1) StarryThoughts: Facilitating Diverse Opinion Exploration on Social Issues, (2) Supporting Collaborative Sequencing of Small Groups through Visual Awareness
- Dec 20 2020 Our paper "FitVid: Towards Development of Responsive and Fluid Video Content Adaptation" has been accepted for an oral presentation to the AAAI 2021 workshop "The Imagining Post-COVID Education with AI (TIPCE)".
- Dec 15 2020 Three papers have been conditionally accepted to CHI 2021: (1) RubySlippers: Supporting Content-based Voice Navigation for How-to Videos, (2) Personalizing Ambience and Illusionary Presence: How People Use "Study with Me" Videos to Create Effective Studying Environments, (3) MIXTAPE: Linking Speech and Visual Objects to Support Communication in Asynchronous Collaboration
- Nov 2 2020 I'm looking for undergrad research interns for the winter.
- Sep 11 2020 Quoted by the Korea Times in "National Assembly urged to accelerate digital transformation"
- Aug 20 2020 I'm looking for undergrad research interns for the fall.
- Aug 19 2020 I'm serving as a Senior Program Committee Member for AAAI-21. My first time to be a SPC member for an AI conference!
- Aug 5 2020 Our ProtoChat paper got accepted to CSCW 2020 with minor revisions.
- Jul 30 2020 I'm serving on the SIGCHI Nominating Committee for the upcoming SIGCHI Executive Committee elections.
- June 26 2020 My online HCI class has been featured on EBS News (Korean): 준비된 온라인 강의‥소통으로 승부수.
- June 9 2020 Grateful to receive a Kyu-Young Whang (Professor Emeritus) Career Award from KAIST SoC.
- May 23 2020 Our SolutionChat system has been featured on ETNews (Korean): 온라인 회의 돕는 AI…참여 안하면 “의견 달라” 멘트 추천.
- May 12 2020 Our AI Mirror paper won an honorable mention award at DIS 2020.
- Apr 26 2020 Our Workflow Graphs paper got accepted to GI 2020.
- Apr 24 2020 I'm looking for undergrad research interns for the summer.
- Mar 16 2020 Thrilled to receive a Grand Prize for Creative Teaching as part of the Outstanding Faculty Awards in Commemoration of KAIST's 49th Anniversary of Founding
- Mar 15 2020 Joined as Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies
- Mar 1 2020 Promoted to Associate Professor.
- Jan 29 2020 Honored to receive a Songam Distinguished Research Award from KAIST College of Engineering.
- Program Committee: CHI 2018-2019 & 2021, AAAI 2021 (SPC), CSCW 2017-2019, Learning at Scale 2015-2020, HCOMP 2016 & 2020, Creativity & Cognition 2019, Collective Intelligence 2019, UIST 2017, CHI 2015 WIP
- Demos Co-Chair: CSCW 2022
- Late-Breaking Work Co-Chair: CHI 2021
- Editor: UX of AI Forum, ACM Interactions Magazine. 2019-current
- Associate Editor: IEEE TLT. 2020-current
- Member: SIGCHI Asian Development Committee. 2019-current
- Member: SIGCHI Nomination Committee. 2020
- Vice President: SIGCHI Korea Chapter. 2019-current
- Vice President: HCI Society of Korea. 2019
- Papers Co-Chair: CSCW 2020
- Best Papers Co-Chair: CSCW 2019
- Social Media Co-Chair: CHI 2020
- Publicity Co-Chair: ISS 2019
- Best Paper Committee: CHI 2018, CSCW 2018
- Doctoral Consortium Co-Chair: HCI Korea 2018-2019
- Demo Co-Chair: UIST 2017-2018
- Poster Co-Chair: UIST 2015-2016
- Workshop Organizer: Crowdsourcing Law and Policy (CSCW 2017), Connecting Collaborative & Crowd Work with Online Education (CSCW 2015), CrowdCamp (HCOMP 2013-2014)
- Webmaster: CHI 2015
- Scheduling + Communitysourcing: CHI 2013-2015, CSCW 2014-2015
- Fall 2020 [CS473] Introduction to Social Computing
- Fall 2020 [CS492F] Human-AI Interaction
- Spring 2020 [CS492D] Introduction to Research
- Spring 2020 [CS374] Introduction to HCI
- Fall 2019 [CS473] Introduction to Social Computing
- Spring 2019 [CS492C] Introduction to Research
- Spring 2019 [CS374] Introduction to HCI
- Fall 2018 [CS473] Introduction to Social Computing
- Fall 2018 [CS492C] Introduction to Research
- Fall 2018 [CS408F] Computer Science Project
- Spring 2018 [CS374] Introduction to HCI
- Spring 2018 [CS408E] Computer Science Project
- Fall 2017 [CS492] Crowdsourcing and Social Computing
- Spring 2017 [CS374] Introduction to HCI
- Spring 2017 [CS966/986] SoC Colloquium
- Fall 2016 [CS492] Crowdsourcing
- Assistant professor in the School of Computing at KAIST
- Visiting assistant professor of Computer Science and Brown Fellow at Stanford University, working in the Brown Institute and the HCI Group
- Ph.D. in EECS from MIT. Worked in the UID Group @ CSAIL
- Research intern at Microsoft Research
- Research intern at edX Learning Sciences
- Research intern at Abobe's Creative Technologies Lab
- Research intern @ USER Group at the IBM Almaden Research Center
- M.S. in Computer Science from Stanford University. Worked in the HCI Group
- Product manager / embedded software engineer at SystemBase in Seoul, Korea
- B.S. in Computer Science and Engineering from Seoul National University