Juho Kim is an Assistant Professor in the School of Computing at KAIST, and directs KIXLAB (the KAIST Interaction Lab). His research in human-computer interaction focuses on building interactive systems that support interaction at scale: crowdsourcing and human computation, online education and learning at scale, civic engagement and collective action, and interactive data analytics and mining. He creates interactive and collaborative technology that empowers conventionally passive populations—students receiving instruction and citizens influenced by social issues—to be active and self-directed participants who initiate deeper learning and collective action. He often takes an interdisciplinary approach to his research, by connecting computer science with learning sciences and social sciences, and aims to deploy interactive systems to real users.
He earned his Ph.D. from MIT, M.S. from Stanford University, and B.S. from Seoul National University. In 2015-2016, he was a Visiting Assistant Professor and a Brown Fellow at Stanford University. He is a recipient of 10 paper awards from ACM CHI, ACM Learning at Scale, ACM IUI, and AAAI HCOMP, and the Samsung Fellowship.
If you're interested in working with me at KAIST, please read this page.
Office hours: by appointment
N1 Room 605, KAIST
291 Daehak-ro, Yuseong-gu
Daejeon, Korea 34141
- 2019.5.4-9: CHI 2019, Glasgow, UK.
- 2019.4.26: EE Graduate Seminar at POSTECH. Invited Speaker.
- 2019.4.24: S&T Biz Colloquium at KAIST. Invited Speaker.
- 2019.2.13-2019.2.15: HCI Korea 2019, Jeju, Korea. Doctoral Consortium co-chair.
- 2019.2.1: HCI@KAIST Winter Workshop. Organizing Committee.
- 2019.1.12: KAIST Youth Scientist Camp. Invited Speaker.
- 2019.1.8: KAIST SoC Camp. Invited Speaker.
- Apr 9 2019 I'm looking for undergrad research interns for the summer.
- Feb 25, 2019 Project website for Minsuk's CHI 2019 paper on Voice UI for Video UI is live now.
- Feb 18, 2019 Honored to receive an Excellence in Teaching Award, as part of the 48th anniversary of the founding of KAIST. SoC website coverage.
- Feb 9, 2019 Two CHI 2019 LBW submissions are accepted. "Crowdsourcing Perspectives on Public Policy from Stakeholders" and "SolveDeep: A System for Supporting Subgoal Learning in Online Math Problem Solving".
- Feb 4, 2019 Our CSCW Asia Winter School proposal is accepted and will be supported by the SIGCHI Specialized Conferences Development Fund. Dec 13 & 14 in Japan. Co-organizers: Naomi Yamashita, Hao-Chuan Wang, Hideaki Kuzuoka, & Gary Hsieh.
- Feb 4, 2019 Asian CHI Symposium: Emerging HCI Research Collection is accepted to CHI 2019.
- Jan 8 2019 Minsuk's Adobe internship paper "How to Design Voice Based Navigation for How-To Videos" is accepted to CHI 2019.
- Jan 8 2019 Jean's paper "Popup: Reconstructing 3D Video Using Particle Filtering to Aggregate Crowd Responses" is accepted to IUI 2019.
- Oct 22 2018 I'm looking for undergrad research interns for the winter.
- Oct 9 2018 Recent & upcoming service roles: Best paper committee @ CHI 2018 & CSCW 2018, Doctoral consortium chair @ HCI Korea 2019, PC member @ CHI 2019 & C&C 2019, Publicity chair @ ISS 2019, Social media chair @ CHI 2020
- Sep 18 2018 My interview with KAIST Podcast on RecipeScape is live now.
- Aug 8 2018 Our paper "Personalized Motivation-supportive Messages for Increasing Participation in Crowd-civic Systems" is accepted to CSCW 2018.
- Aug 4 2018 Our paper "FourEyes: Leveraging Tool Diversity as a Means to Improve Aggregate Accuracy in Crowdsourcing" with collaborators at Michigan is accepted to ACM Transactions on Interactive Intelligent Systems (TIIS).
- Aug 3 2018 "DynamicSlide: Reference-based Interaction Techniques for Slide-based Lecture Videos" is accepted to UIST 2018's poster track as well as MAHCI 2018 Workshop @ ACM Multimedia.
- Jun 24 2018 Our paper "Facilitating Document Reading by Linking Text and Tables" with collaborators at Stanford is conditionally accepted to UIST 2018.
- Apr 23 2018 KIXLAB at CHI 2018: 7 full papers and 3 late-breaking-work posters. Eight members of KIXLAB are attending.
- Program Committee: CHI 2018-2019, CSCW 2017-2019, Learning at Scale 2015-2019, Creativity & Cognition 2019, Collective Intelligence 2019, UIST 2017, CHI 2015 WIP
- Social Media Chair: CHI 2020
- Publicity Chair: ISS 2019
- Best Paper Committee: CHI 2018, CSCW 2018
- Doctoral Consortium Co-Chair: HCI Korea 2018-2019
- Demo Co-Chair: UIST 2017-2018
- Poster Co-Chair: UIST 2015-2016
- Vice President: SIGCHI Korea Chapter, HCI Society of Korea
- Workshop Organizer: Crowdsourcing Law and Policy (CSCW 2017), Connecting Collaborative & Crowd Work with Online Education (CSCW 2015), CrowdCamp (HCOMP 2013-2014)
- Webmaster: CHI 2015
- Scheduling + Communitysourcing: CHI 2013-2015, CSCW 2014-2015
- Spring 2019 [CS492C] Introduction to Research
- Spring 2019 [CS374] Introduction to HCI
- Fall 2018 [CS473] Introduction to Social Computing
- Fall 2018 [CS492C] Introduction to Research
- Fall 2018 [CS408F] Computer Science Project
- Spring 2018 [CS374] Introduction to HCI
- Spring 2018 [CS408E] Computer Science Project
- Fall 2017 [CS492] Crowdsourcing and Social Computing
- Spring 2017 [CS374] Introduction to HCI
- Spring 2017 [CS966/986] SoC Colloquium
- Fall 2016 [CS492] Crowdsourcing
- Assistant professor in the School of Computing at KAIST
- Visiting assistant professor of Computer Science and Brown Fellow at Stanford University, working in the Brown Institute and the HCI Group
- Ph.D. in EECS from MIT. Worked in the UID Group @ CSAIL
- Research intern at Microsoft Research
- Research intern at edX Learning Sciences
- Research intern at Abobe's Creative Technologies Lab
- Research intern @ USER Group at the IBM Almaden Research Center
- M.S. in Computer Science from Stanford University. Worked in the HCI Group
- Product manager / embedded software engineer at SystemBase in Seoul, Korea
- B.S. in Computer Science and Engineering from Seoul National University