Juho Kim is an Assistant Professor in the School of Computing at KAIST, and directs KIXLAB (the KAIST Interaction Lab). His research in human-computer interaction focuses on building interactive systems that support interaction at scale: crowdsourcing and human computation, online education and learning at scale, civic engagement and collective action, and interactive data analytics and mining. He creates interactive and collaborative technology that empowers conventionally passive populations -- students receiving instruction and citizens influenced by social issues -- to be active and self-directed participants who initiate deeper learning and collective action. He often takes an interdisciplinary approach to his research, by connecting computer science with learning sciences and social sciences, and aims to deploy interactive systems to real users.
He earned his Ph.D. from MIT, M.S. from Stanford University, and B.S. from Seoul National University. In 2015-2016, he was a Visiting Assistant Professor and a Brown Fellow at Stanford University. He is a recipient of 10 paper awards from ACM CHI, ACM Learning at Scale, ACM IUI, and AAAI HCOMP, and the Samsung Fellowship.
If you're interested in working with me at KAIST, please read this page.
Office hours: 3:30-5pm on Wednesdays
N1 Room 605, KAIST
291 Daehak-ro, Yuseong-gu
Daejeon, Korea 34141
- 2018.10.14-17: UIST 2018, Berlin, Germany. Demo co-chair.
- 2018.7.12: Korea Computer Graphics Society 2018, Yeosu. Invited Speaker.
- 2018.6.23-27: ICLS 2018, London, UK. Symposia speaker.
- 2018.6.21: Korea Computer Congress 2018, Jeju, Korea. Speaker at the New Faculty Session.
- 2018.4.21-26: CHI 2018, Montréal, Canada. 7 papers & 3 LBW posters.
- 2018.4.13: SIGCHI Korea Local Chapter 2018 Spring Academic Workshop. Program Chair.
- 2018.3.21: KAIST Humanities and Social Sciences Colloquium. Speaker.
- 2018.2.6: Invited talk in CSE, Seoul National University.
- 2018.1.31-2.2: HCI Korea 2018, Jeongseon, Korea. Doctoral Consortium Chair & 1 poster.
- 2017.11.3: Giving an intro to HCI seminar to the public as part of Open KAIST.
- Jun 24 2018 Our paper "Facilitating Document Reading by Linking Text and Tables" with collaborators at Stanford is conditionally accepted to UIST 2018!
- Apr 23 2018 KIXLAB at CHI 2018: 7 full papers and 3 late-breaking-work posters. Eight members of KIXLAB are attending.
- Apr 22 2018 I'm looking for undergrad research interns for the summer.
- Apr 9 2018 RecipeScape is featured by ET News (전자신문).
- Mar 8 2018 Tool Diversity paper wins a Best Student Honorable Mention Award at IUI 2018!
- Feb 17 2018 Three late breaking work papers to CHI 2018 have been accepted: civic engagement, data-driven personality detection, and learnersourcing.
- Feb 13 2018 I'm co-organizing the annual HCI@KAIST Workshop, with a series of tutorials and posters.
- Feb 9 2018 ConceptScape paper wins an Honourable Mention Award for CHI 2018!
- Dec 12 2017 7 papers to CHI 2018 and 1 paper to IUI 2018 have been conditionally accepted!
- Nov 3 2017 I'm looking for undergrad research interns for the winter.
- Oct 19 2017 The KAIST Herald featured our Rally system, a data-driven petition platform.
- Aug 8 2017 Korero: Facilitating Complex Referencing of Visual Materials in Asynchronous Discussion Interface gets conditionally accepted to CSCW 2018.
- Aug 8 2017 Korean media ET News (전자신문) had coverage on SCAN, our intelligent smartphone notification management service for supporting social interaction.
- Program Committee: CHI 2018-2019, CSCW 2017-2018, UIST 2017, Learning at Scale 2015-2017, CHI 2015 WIP
- Best Paper Committee: CHI 2018
- Doctoral Symposium Co-Chair: HCI Korea 2018-2019
- Demo Co-Chair: UIST 2017-2018
- Poster Co-Chair: UIST 2015-2016
- Vice Chair, SIGCHI Korea Chapter
- Workshop Organizer: Crowdsourcing Law and Policy (CSCW 2017), Connecting Collaborative & Crowd Work with Online Education (CSCW 2015), CrowdCamp (HCOMP 2013-2014)
- Webmaster: CHI 2015
- Scheduling + Communitysourcing: CHI 2013-2015, CSCW 2014-2015
- Fall 2018 [CS473] Introduction to Social Computing
- Fall 2018 [CS492C] Introduction to Research
- Fall 2018 [CS408F] Computer Science Project
- Spring 2018 [CS374] Introduction to HCI
- Spring 2018 [CS408E] Computer Science Project
- Fall 2017 [CS492] Crowdsourcing and Social Computing
- Spring 2017 [CS374] Introduction to HCI
- Spring 2017 [CS966/986] SoC Colloquium
- Fall 2016 [CS492] Crowdsourcing
- Assistant professor in the School of Computing at KAIST
- Visiting assistant professor of Computer Science and Brown Fellow at Stanford University, working in the Brown Institute and the HCI Group
- Ph.D. in EECS from MIT. Worked in the UID Group @ CSAIL
- Research intern at Microsoft Research
- Research intern at edX Learning Sciences
- Research intern at Abobe's Creative Technologies Lab
- Research intern @ USER Group at the IBM Almaden Research Center
- M.S. in Computer Science from Stanford University. Worked in the HCI Group
- Product manager / embedded software engineer at SystemBase in Seoul, Korea
- B.S. in Computer Science and Engineering from Seoul National University