I'm currently finishing up my Ph.D. in EECS at MIT, focusing on Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) research. I work in the User Interface Design Group in CSAIL (Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory), advised by Prof. Rob Miller and Prof. Krzysztof Gajos. The Samsung Fellowship has been supporting my graduate studies.
I build interactive systems powered by large-scale data from users. My research introduces learnersourcing, in which learners collectively generate novel content and interfaces for future learners while engaging in a meaningful learning experience themselves. Learnersourcing uniquely combines crowdsourcing, social computing, content-based video analysis techniques, and learning science. My research demonstrates that interfaces powered by learnersourcing can enhance content navigation, create a sense of learning with others, and ultimately improve learning.
- Jul 30 2015 Thesis defense
- Jun 9 2015 Presenting a poster on learnersourcing at CAP Annual Meeting in CSAIL.
- Apr 24 2015 Presenting at Post-CHI Workshop @ KAIST
Apr 20 2015
CHI 2015 in Seoul, Korea:
1) [paper] RIMES: Embedding Interactive Multimedia Exercises in Lecture Videos,
2) [paper] Mudslide: A Spatially Anchored Census of Student Confusion for Online Lecture Videos,
3) [paper] Factful: Engaging Taxpayers in the Public Discussion of a Government Budget,
4) [paper] Apparition: Crowdsourced User Interfaces That Come To Life As You Sketch Them,
5) [Workshop] BudgetWiser: Gamification Design Opportunities in the Government Budget Domain,
6) [WIP] BudgetMap: Issue-Driven Navigation for a Government Budget.
- Mar 15 2015 CSCW 2015: Crowdy paper. Organizing & presenting at the Connecting Collaborative & Crowd Work with Online Education Workshop.
- Mar 1 2015 Three honorable mention awards at CHI 2015.
- Feb 16 2015 Crowdy and ToolScape on the media: Fast Company Design, BostInno, MIT News Office, CBC Radio.
- Jan 26 2015 Three Learning at Scale 2015 posters were accepted.
- Jan 7 2015 Teaching MIT's User Interface Design course in the spring semester with 200 students.
- Jan 7 2015 Program Committee for CHI 2015 Works-in-Progress.
- Dec 1 2014 Program Committee for Learning at Scale 2015. Attended the PC meeting in Mountain View, CA.
- Oct 31-Nov 4 2014 HCOMP 2014: co-organized CrowdCamp, attended the WorkLearn workshop, and Anant presented our attendee-sourcing paper.
- Oct 27 2014 Gave a talk in the Image and Video Computing group seminars at Boston University.
- Oct 23 2014 I'm co-organizing a workshop "Connecting Collaborative & Crowd Work with Online Education" at CSCW 2015.
- Oct 13 2014 I'll serve as the Posters Co-Chair for UIST 2015.
- Oct 6-8 2014 Presented two papers at UIST 2014 in Honolulu, HI: LectureScape & data-driven lecture video interaction and content-aware kinetic scrolling
- Sep 26 2014 Gave a talk about LectureScape at the HarvardX research colloquium.
- Aug 27 2014 Our "Learnersourcing Subgoal Labels for How-to Videos" paper is accepted to CSCW 2015. Check out Crowdy live!
- Aug 11 2014 LectureScape on the media: Forbes, eCampusNews, BostInno, MIT News Office
- Jun 24 2014 Two UIST 2014 papers on data-driven lecture video interface and content-aware kinetic scrolling got accepted.
- Jun 16 2014 Our HCOMP 2014 paper on attendeesourcing with Confer got accepted.
- May 23 2014 Interested in learning web programming? Try Crowdy, our collaborative video learning interface.
- May-Aug 2014 Summer internship at Microsoft Research. Will help teachers create more interactive lessons using Powerpoint with Office Mix.
- May 21 2014 Thesis proposed.
- Apr 30 2014 Sarah Weir won the 2nd place in the Student Research Competition at CHI 2014, with our project on learnersourcing subgoal labels for how-to videos.
- Apr 27-May 1 2014 Attended CHI 2014 in Toronto, Canada. Presented our paper "Crowdsourcing Step-by-Step Information Extraction to Enhance Existing How-to Videos" and a workshop paper "Leveraging Video Interaction Data and Content Analysis to Improve Video Learning" in the workshop on learning innovation at scale.
- Mar 4-5 2014 Presented "Understanding In-Video Dropouts and Interaction Peaks in Online Lecture Videos" at Learning at Scale 2014 in Atlanta, GA.
- Feb 26 2014 ToolScape website and video are live.
- Feb 10 2014 Two honorable mention awards for CHI 2014 papers.
- Jan 29 2014 A paper accepted to CHI 2014 Learning Innovation at Scale workshop.
- Jan 13-15 2014 Two posters presented at Quanta-MIT workshop in Taipei, Taiwan.
- Dec 2013 Gave six talks in Korea about learnersourcing (SNU, KAIST, Samsung, etc.).
- Dec 20 2013 Two papers accepted to Learning at Scale 2014.
- Dec 8 2013 Two papers accepted to CHI 2014.
- Nov 7 2013 Our paper on community clustering won a notable paper award at HCOMP 2013, in Palm Springs, CA.
- Nov 6 and 9 2013 I'm co-organizing CrowdCamp @ HCOMP 2013, in Palm Springs, CA.
- Oct 8 - Oct 11 2013 UIST 2013 in St. Andrews, UK, presenting Cobi: A Community-Informed Conference Scheduling Tool.
- Aug 23 2013 Mentored three student groups in 6.mitx, working on edX student activity visualization, edX grade visualization, and video annotation tool. (MIT News article)
- Jul 1 2013 Our paper Cobi: A Community-Informed Conference Scheduling Tool accepted to UIST 2013.
- Jun 28 - Jul 1 2013 Samsung Fellowship academic camp in Yosemite, CA. Presenting a poster.
- Jun 27 2013 SoCS Doctoral Symposium, Seattle, WA. | Poster (PDF).
- May 28 - Aug 30 2013 Summer internship in the learning sciences team at edX.
- May 2 2013 2nd place in Student Research Competition at CHI 2013 | Slides (PDF).
- Apr 27 - May 2 2013 CHI 2013 in Paris, France. Presenting 2 works-in-progress, 1 student research competition, 1 interactivity.
- Apr 23 2013 Introducing myCHI, a webapp for CHI attendees with paper bookmarking, social recommendations, and personalized schedule.
- Apr 10 2013 ToolScape talk in the graphics group in CSAIL.
- Mar 7 2013 ToolScape talk at edX.
- Feb 23 - Feb 27 2013 CSCW 2013 in San Antonio, Texas. Particpated in CrowdCamp.
- Summer 2014 Research intern at Microsoft Research.
- Summer 2013 Research intern at edX Learning Sciences.
- Summer 2011 Research intern at Abobe's Creative Technologies Lab.
- Summer 2010 Research intern @ USER Group at the IBM Almaden Research Center.
- M.S. in Computer Science from Stanford University. Worked in the HCI Group.
- Product manager / embedded software engineer at SystemBase in Seoul, Korea.
- B.S. in Computer Science and Engineering from Seoul National University.