Juho Kim is an Assistant Professor in the School of Computing at KAIST, and directs KIXLAB (the KAIST Interaction Lab). His research in human-computer interaction focuses on building interactive systems that support interaction at scale: crowdsourcing and human computation, online education and learning at scale, civic engagement and collective action, and interactive data analytics and mining. He creates interactive and collaborative technology that empowers conventionally passive populations—students receiving instruction and citizens influenced by social issues—to be active and self-directed participants who initiate deeper learning and collective action. He often takes an interdisciplinary approach to his research, by connecting computer science with learning sciences and social sciences, and aims to deploy interactive systems to real users.
He earned his Ph.D. from MIT, M.S. from Stanford University, and B.S. from Seoul National University. In 2015-2016, he was a Visiting Assistant Professor and a Brown Fellow at Stanford University. He is a recipient of 10 paper awards from ACM CHI, ACM Learning at Scale, ACM IUI, and AAAI HCOMP, and the Samsung Fellowship.
If you're interested in working with me at KAIST, please read this page.
Office hours: by appointment
N1 Room 605, KAIST
291 Daehak-ro, Yuseong-gu
Daejeon, Korea 34141
- 2019.6.19: KAIST-NAVER Clova AI Workshop. Speaker.
- 2019.5.16-17: Workshop on Collective Decision-making, Learning and Problem Solving, University of Maryland, USA. Speaker (remote).
- 2019.5.4-9: CHI 2019, Glasgow, UK.
- 2019.4.26: EE Graduate Seminar at POSTECH. Invited Speaker.
- 2019.4.24: S&T Biz Colloquium at KAIST. Invited Speaker.
- 2019.2.13-2019.2.15: HCI Korea 2019, Jeju, Korea. Doctoral Consortium co-chair.
- 2019.2.1: HCI@KAIST Winter Workshop. Organizing Committee.
- 2019.1.12: KAIST Youth Scientist Camp. Invited Speaker.
- 2019.1.8: KAIST SoC Camp. Invited Speaker.
- July 30 2019 Two papers accepted to CSCW 2019: "Design for Collaborative Information-Seeking" and "Efficient Elicitation Approaches to Estimate Collective Crowd Answers".
- July 6 2019 I'm an editor of the new "UX of AI" forum in the ACM Interactions Magazine. Let me know if you have exciting ideas for pieces about the UX of AI for HCI/UI/UX researchers and practitioners.
- May 16 2019 Honored to serve as a papers co-chair for CSCW 2020. Many important changes to the process to be announced!
- Apr 9 2019 I'm looking for undergrad research interns for the summer.
- Feb 25, 2019 Project website for Minsuk's CHI 2019 paper on Voice UI for Video UI is live now.
- Feb 18, 2019 Honored to receive an Excellence in Teaching Award, as part of the 48th anniversary of the founding of KAIST. SoC website coverage.
- Feb 9, 2019 Two CHI 2019 LBW submissions are accepted. "Crowdsourcing Perspectives on Public Policy from Stakeholders" and "SolveDeep: A System for Supporting Subgoal Learning in Online Math Problem Solving".
- Feb 4, 2019 Our CSCW Asia Winter School proposal is accepted and will be supported by the SIGCHI Specialized Conferences Development Fund. Dec 13 & 14 in Japan. Co-organizers: Naomi Yamashita, Hao-Chuan Wang, Hideaki Kuzuoka, & Gary Hsieh.
- Feb 4, 2019 Asian CHI Symposium: Emerging HCI Research Collection is accepted to CHI 2019.
- Jan 8 2019 Minsuk's Adobe internship paper "How to Design Voice Based Navigation for How-To Videos" is accepted to CHI 2019.
- Jan 8 2019 Jean's paper "Popup: Reconstructing 3D Video Using Particle Filtering to Aggregate Crowd Responses" is accepted to IUI 2019.
- Editor, UX of AI Forum, ACM Interactions Magazine
- Member of the SIGCHI Asian Development Committee
- Vice President: SIGCHI Korea Chapter, HCI Society of Korea
- Papers Co-Chair: CSCW 2020
- Program Committee: CHI 2018-2019, CSCW 2017-2019, Learning at Scale 2015-2019, Creativity & Cognition 2019, Collective Intelligence 2019, UIST 2017, CHI 2015 WIP
- Social Media Co-Chair: CHI 2020
- Publicity Co-Chair: ISS 2019
- Best Paper Committee: CHI 2018, CSCW 2018
- Doctoral Consortium Co-Chair: HCI Korea 2018-2019
- Demo Co-Chair: UIST 2017-2018
- Poster Co-Chair: UIST 2015-2016
- Workshop Organizer: Crowdsourcing Law and Policy (CSCW 2017), Connecting Collaborative & Crowd Work with Online Education (CSCW 2015), CrowdCamp (HCOMP 2013-2014)
- Webmaster: CHI 2015
- Scheduling + Communitysourcing: CHI 2013-2015, CSCW 2014-2015
- Fall 2019 [CS473] Introduction to Social Computing
- Spring 2019 [CS492C] Introduction to Research
- Spring 2019 [CS374] Introduction to HCI
- Fall 2018 [CS473] Introduction to Social Computing
- Fall 2018 [CS492C] Introduction to Research
- Fall 2018 [CS408F] Computer Science Project
- Spring 2018 [CS374] Introduction to HCI
- Spring 2018 [CS408E] Computer Science Project
- Fall 2017 [CS492] Crowdsourcing and Social Computing
- Spring 2017 [CS374] Introduction to HCI
- Spring 2017 [CS966/986] SoC Colloquium
- Fall 2016 [CS492] Crowdsourcing
- Assistant professor in the School of Computing at KAIST
- Visiting assistant professor of Computer Science and Brown Fellow at Stanford University, working in the Brown Institute and the HCI Group
- Ph.D. in EECS from MIT. Worked in the UID Group @ CSAIL
- Research intern at Microsoft Research
- Research intern at edX Learning Sciences
- Research intern at Abobe's Creative Technologies Lab
- Research intern @ USER Group at the IBM Almaden Research Center
- M.S. in Computer Science from Stanford University. Worked in the HCI Group
- Product manager / embedded software engineer at SystemBase in Seoul, Korea
- B.S. in Computer Science and Engineering from Seoul National University